Apply to Project WHAT!
Has one of your parents ever been in prison or jail?
Would you be willing to share your story of what’s it’s been like to have a parent incarcerated so you can help other youth who are going through the same thing? Do you want a fun, challenging job where you can learn skills to help you get into college or just to improve yourself?
Project WHAT! hires youth with incarcerated parents. To apply:
- You MUST be between 13-18 years old
- You MUST live in Alameda County, Contra Costa County, or San Francisco
- One or both of your parents MUST have been incarcerated at some point in your life
- You MUST be willing to speak publicly about it and share your experiences (if you’re nervous, we’ll teach you!)
These are PAID part-time positions. A one-year commitment is required.
Project WHAT! is always accepting applications. Interviews will happen on an ongoing basis. Apply using the form below. More details are below the application form.
We encourage all interested folks to submit their online application ASAP so we can start the process of getting you involved. Thanks and we look forward to reading your responses!
Project WHAT! Youth Advocate Application Form
Once the Project WHAT! team has reviewed your application, they’ll send emails or texts to schedule interviews with candidates.
Pay & other compensation:
- $25/session for summer training (twice a week) + $100 bonus for great attendance
- $10-12/hour during regular program (weekly) throughout the year
- $25-$50/presentation at each conference or training
- We also provide transportation (MUNI, BART, etc.) stipends and snacks
Responsibilities & expectations:
- Write your personal story, including take-home assignments and feedback from an instructor
- Attend skill trainings for public speaking, facilitation, and strategic sharing
- Attend workshops about the justice system, the prison industrial complex, and trauma
- Attend program meetings with the rest of the PW team throughout the year
- Present to adults and youth at conferences or other events around the Bay Area
- As opportunities arise, you may be chosen to represent PW across the country